Financial Aid (FAFSA) - Facts, Access Policy, & More


  • Most Louisiana high school graduates are eligible for some form of state or federal financial aid – either merit-based or need-based.
  • State and Federal Financial Aid can be accessed by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Financial Aid can remove the barriers to accessing four-year universities, two-year community colleges, and technical training programs.
  • The results of the FAFSA are used in determining expected family contribution, student grants, work study,and loan amount.
  • For more information on the FAFSA, visit the Louisiana Department of Education's webpage at Financial Aid.

Louisiana requires public school students graduating spring 2018 and beyond to take one of the following steps as part of their Individual Graduation Plan:

  • Complete the FAFSA; or
  • Complete the Louisiana TOPS form; or
  • A parent or legal custodian (or a student legally emancipated or of the legal age of majority) may opt out of completing the FAFSA or Louisiana TOPS form by completing a waiver. 
    • For more information on the waiver or to request a waiver, please contact your counselor. 

Random "tidbits" from Mrs. Miles:
  • Students need to use a personal email account, not a school account, when registering for an FSA ID.
  • If you put in your FSA ID three times unsuccesfully, you get locked out.  To get back in,  you have to call 800-433-3243.
  • Do NOT use  Instead, use
  • Complete the FAFSA application for the following school year. (i.e. the senior class of 2019 completes the 2019-2020 FAFSA application)
  • Use your previous years tax returns (i.e. use 2017 tax records when completing the 2019-2020 FAFSA application)
  • If special circumstances have occurred since the previous years tax returns were completed (ex: dramatic decrease in pay), you should submit the FAFSA with information from the tax return then ask the college's financial aid department for special consideration. 
  • Males must register for the selective service if 18 in order to qualify for federal aid.  You have the option within the FAFSA to be automatically registered when you turn 18.
  • Trying to figure out which parents information to use on the FAFSA application if they are not married?
    • It does NOT matter who claims you.
    • Select the parent you lived with more than 1/2 of the time.
    • If  you lived with each parent equally (this year), then you must select the parent you receive the most financial support from.  Be prepared to prove this!  
Resources related to the FAFSA are posted below.  For additional information and to begin the FAFSA application, click here.

See the attachments below for additional help!
Keri Miles,
Aug 8, 2017, 7:48 PM
Keri Miles,
Jul 11, 2018, 7:51 AM
Keri Miles,
Aug 8, 2017, 7:49 PM
Keri Miles,
Jul 11, 2018, 7:51 AM
Keri Miles,
Aug 21, 2017, 3:28 PM